Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Date #12: The Surprise, part II

My second date with The Surprise was scheduled for tomorrow. We were going to do karaoke. But, I got back this evening around 5:00 from an 8 hour drive, and couldn't wait to see him, so I called to see if he was actually free tonight.

He suggested we go out for dinner at Bistro du Coin in Dupont, a place my friend Kristen has talked about many times. It was a great choice, because it was good food, a fun atmosphere, but not at all stuffy or over the top. I wanted to try some of the more adventurous French dishes (frog legs were not on the menu, unfortunately), but he seems to need a little push in that direction. It was obvious that The Surprise would be a thoughtful boyfriend. He confessed later that he made backup reservations at another restaurant, a nicer one based on chocolate. He seemed to be taking mental notes of where I might want to go on future dates.

The best thing about The Surprise is his sense of humor. We have such a comfortable, lively repertoire. He plays off my quirks, like we've known each other for a long time.

We also were able to continue talking about more serious things, like dating and relationships. He's not the type to jump into a relationship immediately, but is also optimistic and open to the idea. He's the Ted character in How I Met Your Mother. Well, he told me that when I asked which one he was most like, but then again, there are only three dudes to choose from. We also determined that The Surprise has U.K.S., Ugly Kid Syndrome. For those who don't know, this occurs when a person was an ugly/overweight/awkward kid, and therefore had to develop a good personality to make up for his/her lack of good looks. They usually develop a great sense of humor as a coping mechanism. Eventually, these ugly kids mature and become good looking adults, but still have great personalities without any arrogance. They may even have a bit of a complex or two, if you're really lucky.

I was more nervous about this date than any I've had so far, I think. The first one went so well, that I worried the second wouldn't live up to it. There is only one thing that worries me about The Surprise. He reminds me of a past boyfriend in a few ways, some good, some less good, but most importantly, he lacks the rugged manliness I really like. Then again, I learned from my recent ex that I want to find someone loving and affectionate, which The Surprise seems to be. Ideally, a man would be both; is that too much to ask? Still, all in all, The Surprise is wonderful, and definitely someone I want to keep dating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stick to your guns, honey! If you like rugged manliness, then that's what you should aspire to get. Trust me....