Pre-date notes: Tonight's date is the first one I am actually excited about. This guy (yet to be nicknamed) is from Nashville, somewhat into country music, 5'9, 29 years old, a "management analyst", and he played on the same kickball league as me. Actually, I looked at his picture again and one of the girls on his team looked familiar. I may or may not have played kickball and flip cup against him. He has short brown hair and the ultimate baby face. Oh, just figured out his nickname. His pictures are all really cute, and he has more than 10 of them, so it's probably not false advertising.
Post-date: Ugh. That one dragged on too long.
I met Babyface at Kramerbooks in Dupont. I really like this place. It's a small bookstore with a bar, coffee shop, and full restaurant attached. He chose the location, and did a nice job. Babyface really is cute, but also has a deep enough voice and a 5 o'clock shadow that he doesn't come across as a young kid. My initial thoughts were, "Ooh, this one could be good."
We were seated at a table and I didn't realize he thought we were coming for dinner. I had already eaten dinner at home, and the menu didn't have any appetizers at all, or anything under $15, it seemed! So, I had to just sit there and watch him eat. He did graciously offer to just go somewhere else, but I didn't make a big deal of it. As soon as the conversation started, things went downhill. This guy is really into himself. He talked for probably 90% of the evening. He told me all about his job, the pluses and minuses, his boss, his grad school, his GRE's that he "kicked ass" on. We briefly talked about our commonalities (kickball, karaoke), but he didn't ask me any questions. I had to throw in my own bits and pieces awkwardly, to which he would look at me, nod his head, and talk about himself again. I may have egged him on by asking him questions, but whenever he finished a story, he would just purse his lips together in kind of a smirk and nod his head, just begging to be asked something else. I don't like writing mean things about my dates in this blog, but really...it was rough. I was dying inside toward the end. We took the metro together, both heading in the same direction, and I asked him the simple question, "How long have you lived in your apartment?" I swear, he started to answer it right outside the restaurant and didn't finish until we were ON THE TRAIN. Ok, so this one was not right for me, obviously. He was cute though, really.
I find it hilarious that his profile states "I love a good conversation. It doesn't have to be peppered with wit or enlightenment, but if it is, that's great. I just want to be comfortable sitting across from or sitting beside the woman I'm with. If we can talk about anything and it comes naturally, I think I will be comfortable." Yeah, I'm pretty sure you'd be comfortable talking to a wall.
Too harsh?
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
NOT too harsh! I HATE people like that, and I should know because I AM one.
Not cute at all... there is nothing worse than a cocky guy! Can you find prince charming already? ; )
Well, I still have 36 dates to go, so I can't find him TOO soon!
Ew. Next.
I think self-centeredness is the worst trait to have (in general, but especially on a first date). Sionara, Babyface!
Post a Comment