Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Date #10: CalTech*

Another surprise, but in the opposite direction. I didn't feel any connection with CalTech* (school changed to protect identity), even though this was the date I was most looking forward to, except for maybe Mr. Bach. CalTech seemed like the whole package. He is 5'11 with seemingly a big football player build, and he is obviously smart, having gone to CalTech for undergrad and grad school. CalTech's pictures are also very cute, and he had plenty, so I knew he wasn't just having a good day. We talked on the phone for an hour last week and he sounded wonderful. I could tell he was nerdy, but he seemed to have enough coolness to balance it out. I love nerdy sides to guys, but I learned that CalTech's nerd side was going to dominate.

We met at a tapas restaurant in Georgetown, called Bodega. It was a great place, and actually, we were seated in between two other couples that were either on first dates as well or were at least getting to know each other. It felt a little like speed dating. Every time CalTech and I had an awkward moment (which happened a few times), I'd eavesdrop on the conversations our neighbors were having and use their topics as a jumping off point. The food was great. We got fried bacon wrapped dates as an appetizer, and I could have eaten a whole meal of those. But we also split a paella, which was oily and delicious as well. I feel a little ill right now though.

It's hard to explain why the date didn't feel right. CalTech seems like he has a huge heart and is just looking for someone to share his life with. Unfortunately, he's spent much of his life alone. He talked about being a social outcast in high school, and going to bars and restaurants alone as an adult. He is also 36, which was a yellow flag (not fully red), just because I worried we wouldn't understand each other's references.

A few awkward moments occurred. I accidentally kicked his leg under the table as I switched positions, and I said "sorry" and continued with whatever story I was telling. He waited until I finished my story and said "I gather no sense of remorse." I looked at him funny, and asked, "What?" He repeated the line, and said, "you kicked me. I don't think you're really sorry." Throughout the date, I felt like I was giving courtesy giggles to his awkward jokes. Having recently been on the other side, I know that giggling is just the right thing to do.

The other awkward moment was when he was walking me to my car. We're walking along M Street, and he says "I feel like we keep dodging people" and grabs my hand to hold. I give a little laugh, and say, "Yeah." Then he says, "Plus, I need to help you walk in those treacherous shoes." I was wearing flip flops. I get it, a joke. Haha. Aww, poor CalTech.

I wanted to like CalTech, I really did. But I just didn't. At least I don't have to explain to my conservative grandfather why my new boyfriend is a 36 year old black guy.

I had a voicemail from Bubble waiting for me, and we are going to have a second date next week. I'm also looking forward to a second date with The Catch tomorrow. I talked to my friend today about second dates, and she brought up a good point. If it seems like most of these first dates have been going well, it's because first dates almost always go well. It's not until the second date that you start to really see a person's true colors.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a disappointment....uuggh!

Unknown said...

Careful with those age jokes, Princess.

oohfancypants said...

What joke? I made no age jokes, lady.

Kristen said...

While I'd normally root for the awkward science-y type, this one may be a little too out there. Hurry up and go on another date with the Surprise!