Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Date #14: Peace Corps

by Guest Author, Kit

Elle is right! Coming up with the nicknames is the hardest part. I really struggled with coming up with a nickname for this guy. He was in the Peace Corps in El Salvador for just over two years. He's spent a lot of time in South America, so I considered something like South of the Border, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

I was really nervous before my date tonight. I'd never been on a date with someone I met online before, so I was pretty anxious about this one. Peace Corps and I didn't spend a lot of time chatting before the date, so I really wasn't sure what to expect.

We met at Restaurant 3 in Clarendon tonight, presumably for drinks. I got there first, of course, and waited out front for him. He came around the corner and gave me a big hug right away. At first glance, I wasn't sure I felt about him. He's about 5' 10" and already starting to bald a bit, but not unattractive.

We got a table and ordered drinks. I got Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier (delicious) and he got a Belgian ale. Neither of us had had dinner, so Peace Corps suggested we also get some food. Both of us got an appetizer. He got fried oysters and I got muscles. The food was good. We both ate off the other's plate and the conversation was very comfortable.

Most of the conversation consisted of the typical get to know you questions, but we delved into a few deeper topics as well. There were very few pauses in the conversation and we seemed to get along nicely. After he paid, we decided to head out because I have a train to catch at 6:30 tomorrow morning. He said he'd be in touch, so we'll see what happens. I think I'd like to see Peace Corps again and see what happens.

I apologize if the writing is not as interesting as Elle's. The blog world is new to me, but she is the one who inspired me to look for someone online!

2 comments:

oohfancypants said...

I am thrilled that you gave online dating a chance. Even if this guy doesn't work out, keep trying! Thanks for putting yourself out there and contributing to the 40!

librarymaid said...

So glad that someone is keeping the blog going. Sounds like you had a fun date -- keep it up!