Guest author, Kit.
I went out with The Weekender again on Saturday. Leading up to the date, I was getting less and less excited for it. I know, you're supposed to get more excited as you get closer to the date. He and I had continued to talk in the two weeks up to our date, which I originally liked. Then, he started talking to me ALL THE TIME. I mean, all the time, and it was about nothing! I'm fine talking about nothing, mundane, "How was your day?" stuff when you're in a relationship and actually know what the other person is talking about. For example, I told him I visited my old camp and told him it was weird. I expected questions such as "Where is your camp?" "Why was it weird?" "How long did you go to camp for", or any questions along those lines considering I had never told him anything about camp. Instead, I got: "Well, that's understandable." Camp, by the way, was a huge part of my life for ten years and still means a lot to me. I think this was the beginning of the end. I also got a few early morning texts (5:30am, 7:00am, 7:30am) just to say "Good morning, beautiful." Cute. Right? Maybe if we'd been dating for a while and been out more than once.
I digress. On to the date.
Everyone kept telling me I need to give him another chance, even if he was being creepy and weird, so I kept our date for Saturday. On Thursday, I asked him what we were doing and he didn't know, said he would think about it and let me know. I drove home from North Carolina that morning and got home around 4:30. I messaged him when I got home and asked where we were going. He didn't know. Kept asking me where I wanted to go. I had told him that I wanted him to choose since I chose last time. Finally he picked Willow, a little place in Ballston. I thought it was great since I had never been there before, but always pass it on my way to the metro. A little after 5, I get a message that he can't get a reservation for 7 and he will meet me there at 6, so I quickly threw something on and left the house.
I got there first and sat at the bar with a glass of water. He met me there and greeted me with a kiss. We got our table and decided on a bottle of wine to split. We also picked out an appetizer, a delicious flat bread. I had picked out my entree and closed my menu accordingly. The waiter kept coming over to ask if we were ready to order and The Weekender kept saying we hadn't looked yet. Finally, I just told him I was ready to order and was waiting for him to choose. Poor guy was really embarrassed.
The conversation was just ok during dinner. I mean, it flowed nicely, but had a kind of awkwardness to it. I know I was not as animated as I was on our first date, but I was trying. I really was. The food was only so-so for the price. The did have bacon on EVERYTHING, so a win there for Willow. We did also split a dessert, a peach/blueberry cobbler, yum!
After dinner we didn't sit around talking for a long time, but the waiter was also trying to turn over the table. We went outside and he made a comment about how it was too hot to walk around, and what did I want to do then. Rather annoyed that he had not put any effort into planning this date, including what we were going to do after dinner, I told him I was tired from my drive and needed to go home. He kissed me goodnight and I left.
Needless to say, I don't think I'll be going out with The Weekender again.
Here's hoping to find another guy, preferably one who will not move into relationship mode immediately after our first date.
Wednesday, July 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wowza, enough red flags to set up a downhill slalom course... Sounds like your instincts were right. Kudos for giving him another shot though. Keep at it! Successful date or not, this was your best blog yet!
Post a Comment