Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Caught, part I, by The Catch

Caught, Part 1, by The Catch

I should probably begin with an apology. I love this blog; it’s a creative and adventurous idea, entertaining to read, and has all the drama of a deliciously addictive reality dating show. And I ruined it for you.

Let me back up a smidge. Not 3 weeks ago I went on a pretty incredible first date with a girl I met online. We talked, we laughed, we ate and drank. The conversation never hit an awkward lull over the 4 hours it lasted. I hope this doesn’t read as shallow as it sounds in my head, but based on my experience, online-dating profile photos are rarely an accurate portrayal of how a person looks. Elle’s photos were cute (obviously, I was excited about the date), but in person I was blown away. Her eyes, her smile… I’m getting off track. I walked away from this date repeating to myself “don’t mess this one up, play it cool.” I’m a planner, so over the next few days I put together a second date idea should she want to see me again. And she did!

Communication was sparse leading up to date #2 and I wasn’t sure what to make of that. I shrugged it off and thought, “Maybe she’s just not into texting. Get out of your head. And remember to buy milk.” I prepped the ceviche at work, made sure the wine was chilled, and changed my shirt- I was excited and ready. Of course, by the time I met up with Elle at the park, I was drenched in sweat. The ceviche still had to be put together, so I pulled out the ziplock bag of tuna in order to drain the lime juice it was marinating in. “Gotta be honest, that doesn’t look very good.” She’s busting my chops already, I love it. Date #2 conversation was both lighter and deeper than #1. The animal impressions were adorable, but when she busted out the camp songs I was smitten. The kiss… *smiles* the kiss was good. In the event this date went as well as I had hoped it would, I was ready with ideas for date #3. That night, we made plans to go climbing the following Thursday.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You busted out the animal noises AND the old camp songs? (Give Yourself to Love, anyone?) And he didn't run?! He is a catch. :) very happy for you, bffl. :)

Anonymous said...

Now that you've been Caught.....you should take over the blog and write about Elle. Trust me, we will all stay tuned.
ps
Elle...."Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know whatcha gonna get.";-)

Tan Jovi said...

Friend of the guy here (I really feel uncomfortable using the nickname) with a little color commentary for this historical record.

The Catch (ugh, I have to do it) talked about Elle (now these names are just getting confusing) quite a bit when we were driving out to his bros house to watch the world cup together and again a week or so later.

He was bouncing his date ideas off me (I warned him that going rock climbing so early might be a bad idea because if this one stuck, he'd have a super high bar set for future dates - shows what I know). Telling me how cool she was and how he hoped it worked out. He was worried about the texting (I said some people just don't text, all the other signs are good so don't sweat it) - I think he even told me about a joke he texted to her once that she took too long to respond to "what does that mean?" ... all hilarious. It was obvious he liked this girl quite a bit.

I've know The Catch (I've gotten okay with the name, I'm just pretending he is on Jersey Shore as I write this) since he was 13 or something. Never ever saw him talk about a girl the way he talks about this one ... glad to read this blog to see she felt the same way from the start.

PS. I now wish commenters got Jersey Shore nicknames so I went and looked up mine online. The link on my "name" will allow you to do the same.